Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Thanks for proving my point guys.

Yesterday (or maybe the day before. I don't really fact check this stuff) I wrote a bit about production companies and the hollywood "machine" being pretty much idiots.
Today I read that Kevin Feige, who is the Marvel guy in charge of all their movie stuff, announced that both Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger will be CONVERTED TO 3D!

What.
The.
Fuck.
Ok. Here is the thing. Converting movies to 3d is a horrible, horrible idea.
Case in point: Clash of the Titans (If you want to know how bad, refer to me)
Clash of the Titans was converted to 3D in such horrible, money grubbing fashion that it literally made the movie worse. As do most conversions. It was blurry and the 3D made people sick at points because the focus was so bad.
If you don't know what i'm talking about when I say "converted" I will explain.

A movie like Avatar, a little film you might have heard of, is FILMED in 3D. Meaning James Cameron has these stupid gigantic 3D cameras that he lugs around and actually shoots with, or some producer sends the film to an effects company AFTER THE ENTIRE MOVIE IS ALREADY MADE, and they do some shit with their computers.
Go read this article on Slate for a far better description of both the filming and converting process, they are much smarter than I.

All I'm saying is that so far in 2010 some of the larger films that converted to 3D have been Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Suck, and The Last Airbender. All of these movies were roasted for their shitty use of 3D. So why in the hell is Marvel converted 2 of the biggest movies it's ever made?

Whoever wants to go see these movies is already going to go see them, no one is going to say "Oh, Thor was going to suck...but now that it's 3D I'll spend the money!" This can literally only make these movies worse, and in turn piss off the nerds.
And trust me, YOU DO NOT WANT MILLIONS OF ANGRY NERDS ON YOUR HANDS.
They will sneak into your bedroom while you are asleep and assault you with a never ending battery of asthma inhalers and orthopaedic shoes.

Alright, the last two posts have been very negative in regards to movies, so I will end this with some good news about movies.
It's Kind of a Funny Story is a new film by husband and wife film-making team Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. The trailer is below, and I think it looks really good. They made Half Nelson with Ryan Gosling, and I've seen it and it is really good. So check it out, and go spend money on this when it comes out.
Or I'll kick you off my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment